The rest of the school district may be sleeping for another few weeks, but Rec & Ed's summer camps are running at full speed. This week marks the middle of the summer -- the perfect time to pull back the curtain and showcase some of our behind-the-scenes activities.
Mid-summer is a critical time for us. Besides actually providing camps, what are we up to?
1. Using parent survey results to make mid-course corrections. Yes, we take those camp satisfaction surveys seriously! This week we're meeting with staff and contractors to review results and make improvements. (Want to send us feedback via email? Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
2. Continuing our scheduled and "pop-in" visits to camps. We look for several indicators of a quality camp experience, including campers safely having fun and staff actively engaged with campers. Feedback is shared immediately with camp directors and staff.
|Rec & Ed camp specialist Brady Peck (in green shirt) with our|
High School Volunteer Leadership Team.
3. Supporting our High School Volunteers. About a hundred trained high school volunteers are helping out at our summer camps.
4. Keeping up with national trends and best practices in summer camps and youth development. We're going to trainings, reading journals and watching webinars. It's inspiring to learn how other communities support youth development through summer camps.
5. And yes...we're already brainstorming for next year. Yesterday Sally Searls (Lifelong Learning Manager), Brady Peck (Camp Specialist) and I bounced ideas around for new types of camps we could offer. These conversations happen all the time!
We still have lots of enriching and fun camps on deck for the second half of summer. In August, look for our KidsSport, Engineering 101, Science for Our Planet, and Cake Decorating camps, among many others. Information and easy registration is available at our summer camp page.
Have some feedback or an idea for a camp? We'd like to hear from you! Email Brady at email@example.com.